Thursday, August 04, 2011

Many threads within the Cord

Owning a magical and spiritual supply store has been my dream since I was a little boy. I remember always being fascinated with magic and the occult, and told my mother when I was 2 years old that when I grew up I was going to be a witch. So now, today my husband and I own our own shop, The Mystic Dream, where we are happy to provide magical advice and instruction to those in need, as well as quality blended magical products from our apothecary, drawing from the various magical traditions that we each practice.

First and foremost, I consider myself a priest, which I define as someone whose spiritual calling is to be a "mediator of Divine presence". My approach has been to combine the knowledge gained through my study, practice, and initiations into various witchcraft, magical, and spiritual systems in a way that honors them all, underneath the umbrella of my own conscience and divine authority.

Some see all eclectic and syncretic approaches to magic as being shallow, but this is a judgment based on observing only those instances in which such approaches are lacking mastery in their work. While it is true that some "dig many shallow wells", instead of a single one deeply, this does not preclude the possibility of digging many deep wells... or if you prefer, drawing from many threads of power and weaving them together into a singular cord of powerfully informed practice.

We have been working with a lot of different ideas lately. Different lines of magical thought and products... different styles of poetry and approach... I love being able to use the tools and current of the F(a)eri(e) witchcraft tradition and folkloric-faery practice, alongside Reiki, Shamanic work, Hoodoo & Conjure, just to name a few of the traditions and spiritual systems that I am a part of. In Feri it is taught that "All Gods are Feri Gods", and I believe that this approach is appropriate when extended out into the various cultures and practices of which many of us can claim genetic or spiritual lineage. I draw from Irish folk-tales in my spiritual work, as well as use Hoodoo Conjure Oils with Feri exercises and Daoist-inspired energy work and Reiki. Feri is syncretic and will use whatever gets results. I find my best results come from using what inspires be in the moment, instead of constantly drawing from the same source over and over again. Feri in this respect is a type of "chaos magic" in that different mythical and artistic paradigms can be employed at different times and still be seen as traditional within the Feri worldview. Sometimes this is hard for some people as it can be seen as "moving away" from traditional established norms; but let us remember that Feri is not about dogma, but about creation. We shouldn't be "re-inventing the wheel", but instead inventing new forms of travel altogether. I'll see that wheel, and raise a car.

So then have we been creating vehicles for our various artistic and spiritual approaches:

Modern Conjure is where we are highlighting the magical work that we offer to clients. Here you can find oils, salts, waters, mojo hands, and more... all for your particular magical needs. Schedule a tarot reading... have a magical consultation in which we help create a spell for you to perform --or have us perform it for you. We are happy to Dress candles, Set Lights, perform private rituals (either in-person or remotely), and cast spells on your behalf.

BlueRose is my lineage and school of F(a)eri(e) tradition witchcraft, which stems from the teachings and lineage of Victor & Cora Anderson. Initiates and students together are building a space for Feri practitioners who wish to explore and deepen our understanding of this wildly diverse form of American Witchcraft. 
Witch Eye is an annual magazine devoted to the F(a)eri(e) tradition, full of art, articles, spells, and lore of interest to practitioners of our tradition. 

BlueLotus is our school and lineage of Reiki. The energetic lineage that I pass draws from multiple sources: First, Usui-Tibetan, which provides the traditional Japanese tradition of Reiki with additional symbols and material for spiritual development and healing, and second, Blue Fire which originated with Carrie Hammond in 2006 and combines the practices and approach of Reiki with the energetics of blue fire from the Feri tradition.

Carnivalia  is the website, workshop, and mad dream of my husband, Chas Bogan. Here we sell occult items of a aesthetically darker nature, including Spiritual Talking Boards, original altar statuary, and blended oils & waters for various magical purposes. I am happy to contribute art for talking boards and written spells for this project.

The Modern Witch Podcast is the vehicle for our boyfriend, Devin Hunter, to which I am a regular contributor. Enjoy discussions of a magical nature, along with music and interviews with some of Pagandom's most interesting and creative artists & teachers. I am often a guest, participating in round-table discussions centering around issues relevant to magic and witchcraft.

We've also been thinking a lot about art and products made specifically with gay practitioners of the Craft in mind... our new line, "Dandy Warlock" will soon have oils, bath salts, creams, soaps, ritual tools, art, and accessories for the discerning and stylish practitioners the Black Arts (and by Black Arts I of course mean those that are slimming.) ;) 

And all of these projects and services are available through our store, The Mystic Dream, and of course through my own website, www.faerywolf.com. In the weeks and months to come we hope to streamline them together to make it easier to navigate and find exactly what you are looking for.

So... we've been busy. Stay tuned for further developments!

No comments: